Re: [pyrnet] HELP -- Need fencing advice

<< In our part of the country Horse fencing is available, pretty
> sturdy stuff with reinforced bottom wire, that when strung nice and
> tight is harder to dig out under.>>

Around here, we call it cattle wire, but it's the same thing.  Our pasture
is fenced with this, and it's held horses, goats, and Pyrs, EXCEPT of
course, Baron.  You see, no 4' high fence can hold him -- he's up and over
in a heartbeat.  But everyone else is fine with this arrangement, and
doesn't even show an inclination to dig under it.

Our yard is also fenced, with 4' high board fencing that's lined with
"anti-climb" wire.  This is a wire with 2" x 4" welded squares.  The idea
is that it's narrow enough that the dogs can't get a good foot hold to
climb it.  Once again, this works well for all the dogs, except Baron.  He
just doesn't have ANY respect for fences.  Needless to say, he is under
constant supervision when he's in the yard.  He's generally a house dog
anyway, but while we're at work, he does get put into a run.  The run is
fully roofed, with chainlink panels on three sides, and a solid wooden wall
on the fourth.  The top and bottoms of the chainlink panels have all been
tie-wrapped, to take all the slack out of the fencing.  This way, he's not
encouraged to push at the wire and attempt to get out.

<<Oh and the pen is not going to kill your dogs, being uncontained just
might.>>

How true this is!  Actually, as long as our guys have a chance to burn off
some of the excess energy, they have no objections being in a pen.
Actually, it's funny to see Baron sleeping in the large crate we have in
the sun room.  The door will be open, and he could be anywhere he wants to
be in the house, but he prefers the crate.

--- Robyn Allwright
--- ziffanyrobyn@earthlink.net
--- Ziffany Great Pyrenees