[pyrnet] Oh, Lordy!

LOL!  Lordy, I really didn't intend  to start such a vehement
discussion.  I took no offense from anything anyone said.

Lene, thank you so much for the support! I do, however mostly agree with
the need to neuter both males and females, MOSTLY for the prevention of
unwanted puppies...or puppies that end up in the wrong hands, and also
because frankly, I think anyone who has a dog that they really don't intend
to breed, they're really asking for a lot more trouble than is necessary.
But you see, I also think that after you and your hubby have had all the
kids you want, if he's a lot of trouble, the woman needs to balance the joy
of sex against the aggravation factor and consider neutering their husband,
too!!!!  Nothing meant to hurt any men's feelings, but sometimes, it
really, REALLY seems like a good idea.

I DO, however think that just because a pet owner chooses not to neuter
doesn't make them irresponsible. Foolish, maybe, in my opinion, but not
necessarily irresponsible.  I am not really of the opinion that a dog is
automatically healthier when they're neutered. If so, why not recommend
that women cut off their breasts and have hysterectomies, and men to have
their testicles removed to prevent health problems if they don't want
children, or if they are the equivalent of being "pet-quality" humans?
Frankly, I know a LOT of people who in my not-so-humble opinion really
shouldn't be allowed to reproduce. And why is it that celibacy for humans
is never equated with health risks, yet for animals it is? I don't really
buy it.  In wolf packs, only the Alpha male and female  mate. So...what
happens to the others? Who keeps THEM chaste? (a thought I just had this
moment, and it really is intriguing....)

And, yes, I DO have to consider peace in our household. Frankly, my hubby
is a real pain in the butt when I go against him on something he has set
his mind on, and I NEVER hear the end of it. Believe me, I'd still be in
the proverbial doghouse if I did this behind his back. And he's similarly
almost impossible to sway when he's made up his mind, the turkey.

I do think that somewhere in the back of his mind, he'd like to have one
litter. We had a wonderful Spitz for 15 years, and had her neutered, and
never let her have pups...and later regretted not being able to have one od
her puppies for two reasons: 1) We found out later that some Spitz lines
can be VERY aggressive and overly territorial, and snappish. Madison was
the epitome of wonderful, and her mother died a few years after we got her.
2) We tried getting a puppy after Madison was about three, and she would
never accept another dog in the house. Perhaps if it was her own pup, she
would have. And, as a #3, my son is leaning heavily toward a G.P. pup when
he gets his own house, and he wouldn't mind at all having one of Newman's pups.

So...I can understand how he feels...though I may not agree with him. At
ALL.

:-)