RE: [pyrnet] Chat: What is considered back yard breeding?

Hi Joe, thanks for the reply!
=========
 (dogs who have earned

Joe wrote:
> The problem with breeders who do not take their dogs to
> confirmation is we
> ahve to depend on "their"`assessment totally.  Ever hear of
> Kennel blindless
> or worse?
===========
Yes, I see what you mean. Everyone thinks that their dog is the most
beautiful. But I guess I was not necessarily taking about all dog breeds.
But dogs who excel in their "job" and win titles.

Let me put this to you, for lack of a better example (please keep in mind,
that it's just what has been explained to me, and I'm just asking for your
opinion :)

A breeder who breeds racing Whippets. Of course the dog in question conforms
to the standard and have had their hips, eyes etc, cert. The line is known
to be of great health,temperament and longevity.
One particular bitch is winning almost every race it enters.
Should this dog's racing ability not be passed on, if the breeder does not
show in Conformation?
============

 Even confirmation is not necessarily a good indicator
> of a good
> Pyr, but breeders who compete with their breeding over many years will
> establish a record that is reliable for their dogs to meet the breed
> standard.  It is important that the dog work, but as I said first
> time, many
> breeds work.  There is only one Pyr.  So what you wnat is a
> correct Pyr that
> works.
================
I see why "conformation" showing is so important in Pyr's as they really do
not have a competition for LGB. Or do they?
So it is really the only way to judge a quality Pyr, and determine
suitability for breeding.
Plus as you stated, "form follows function" a well put together Pyr will be
able to do his "job" more efficiently.
A question though, you wrote:
> if we did nto
> study it and pay attention to the breed type and make sure it
> also retains
> the working instincts.

Again I'm just asking your opinion but, how does showing in Conformation
prove that a Pyr line has retained the working instincts? How many show
Pyr's actually work in a sheep herd?

Thanks for any insights you may have,
Sariena