Re: [pyrnet] Chat: What is considered back yard breeding?

I agree.  Just because they had only one litter does not make them backyard
breeders.  They researched and were responsible.

When I think of backyard breeders I think of the average pet owner who has
one or many litters for several different reasons just because they can.
There are other examples as well but I really do not feel like getting into
it.  :)

I received a call a while back about my Cockers.  Unfortunately my
Grandmother talked to these people instead of me....they got off easy.  They
asked some questions and then proceeded, "she's the one who won't sell a dog
unless it's spayed".  My Grandmother said yes she wants to guard against
puppymills and backyard breeders, they said "I don't agree with puppymills
either!", "I'm not a backyard breeder, I just want to raise one litter!"

Exactly!  One litter where all the pups go on to be bred and all those pups
go on to be bred all descending from a dog who is very nice but should not
contribute to the breed.  They had no consideration to her quality and had
no intention of doing anthing but breeding her.

By the way, I will sell a dog who is not spayed/neutered but it must be show
and breeding/working quality or show and breeding/gundog quality (in the
case of the Cockers) and on co-ownership with me.  I've just seen too much
with rescue to do it any other way.

Chrissy