Re: [pyrnet] Porcupine advice please

Take your dog to the vet NOW.  Porkies are not do it yourself matters.  The quills have hooks on them that embed into the skin.  At the very least you dog is in danger of a general infection and much pain from the embedded quills.

Tea

  Mary Delmage <mary@ericnagler.com> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

My one year old male Pyr just had his first (and dare I hope, last) close encounter of the painful kind with a porcupine.

I pulled out all the quills that I could see (mouth, chest, foot) and apart from being sore he seems fine.  However I can feel a number of unreachable quills embedded under the skin in his chest area.

I've heard two schools of thought from various sources.  First: leave the quills alone and they will eventually work themselves out.  Second: Leave the quills alone and they will burrow themselves deeper into his body, eventually reaching his heart/brain/lungs and could kill him.

Being a foreigner (where I come from we only have hedgehogs) I'm not very au-fait with porcupines. Any one else have experiences of this happening and any advice to offer?

Thanks,
Mary.

Mary Delmage
RR#3