RE: do-it-yourself grooming (was Re: [pyrnet] I need Pyr pictures)

Even though it's "only a match", it's good practice to get use to giving
the dog a good grooming.  Start by brushing completely -- I like using a
rake.  It's important to get down through the coat to get any loose under
coat out.

To ease shampooing, mix a small amount of your shampoo with water.  This is
especially good with a thicker shampoo, and allows for the shampoo to
penetrate the coat.  Because lathering up quicker, less shampoo is used and
it will be easier to rinse out.  Rinsing is key -- shampoo left in the coat
can cause the coat to look dull and cause skin irritation.  Also, if you're
using a whitening shampoo, don't use it too often, as many can also be
harsh on the coat.

Also, make sure you're getting him use to having his nails trimmed.  This
is where I have the biggest trouble with our guys.  Baron will literally
lay on the grooming table and let you give him a pedicure.  Zoe is getting
use to the routine, but Zhara is becoming quite a handful.

--- Robyn Allwright
--- Ziffany Great Pyrenees & Tibetan Mastiffs
--- www.ziffany.com