Re: [pyrnet] Black Pyrenees, White Newf...

In a message dated 7/8/02 7:48:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time, bamb@monmouth.com writes:

Well, Pyrs are not, and as far as I know, do not carry the albino gene. They carry the "white spotting" gene. Which means, in essence (and of course over simplified) that they are a black dog with a BIG white spot. Which is of course why they have black pigment around their eyes, on their nose, footpads, spots on their skin, etc.

Clearly not albino.  Agreed.  The genetics of the skin color is most likely from different set of genes than the hair color.  While I respect this position, I just have never been persuaded it applied to Pyrs or the other Great White Mountain Dogs.  I am still open and would welcome any information that can make me comfortable with this theory.  I think this is much too complicated a subject to be an either/or scenario.

Joe