Re: [pyrnet] Black Pyrenees, White Newf...

----- Original Message -----
From: <JGentzel@aol.com>

Black that goes to the skin is a sign of cross breeding.  It always has been
and was lamented by the old writers back at the end of the 19th and
beginning of the 20th century.  The color fades to white as it enters the
skin in the Pyr, that is what blaireau is.  It is a grizzled color result
and
unique in that respect. >.

Joe,

Is it only "black" to the skin or could/would we fault any color to the
skin?  I ask because I believe that not all hair turns white at the time it
enters the body/skin.  the only dogs I have ever had with what could even
moderately be considered "black" are very heavily marked dogs, often dark
grey, where the very tip ends of the hair were black.  Also those heavily
marked dogs often seem to have black markings at birth.  the fading starts
pretty quickly.

Linda