Re: [pyrnet] New to list, lotta questions :)

In a message dated 8/31/02 12:55:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
moonlight@silent-running.com writes:

<< I never had the slightest problem with K'hemo barking or digging.  From
the
 research I am now doing into the breed, I assume this is because he was
 never more than a few feet from at least one of his people.  He slept
 inside at night, and went out with the kids during the day.  Or was I just
 really lucky?  As for wandering, the only time he staged an escape was when
 I forgot to bring him inside when the kids went to school.  Then he would
 get out, walk to school, and refuse to leave without his flock.

 In my current situation, my husband, myself and my adult children all work,
 but somewhat staggered schedules, which would leave the pet home alone
 about 5 hours a day a couple of times a week.  Is this too long for a Pyr
 to be alone?  I'd rather that he stayed in the house while we are all
 out.  Can a mature Pyr last that long inside without discomfort?

 Our home sits on 3/4 acre in a quiet neighborhood. One of our neighbors has
 a wooden fence on the other side of our chain link, and our back fence is
 covered with honeysuckle so it is also "blind".  The third side is open
 chain link, which I realize I will have to cover in some way to prevent the
 Pyr from seeing that yard as his territory.  The neighbors with the wooden
 fence have a pair of rather loud and aggressive Rottweilers.  Will this
 distress the Pyr even though he won't be able to see them?  He will rarely
 be outside alone.

 My home is quite large, and Mr Pyr will have his own bedroom to retreat to
 when he needs it.  Do I still need to concern myself with "crating"?

 I really don't want a puppy, I'd prefer to adopt a rescue Pyr at 1-3 years
 old.  We haven't the time to properly raise a puppy, but are quite willing
 to take an older animal and pay for, and participate in,  whatever training
 he needs.  My concern with adopting rather than going to a breeder is
 health.  I couldn't bear to put down another otherwise healthy Pyr, for hip
 dysplacia.  I have been watching the thread about the breeder's
 responsibility when a dog shows up at Rescue with interest, as it seems to
 suggest that Rescue can somehow identify where the dog came from.  If so,
 then I assume that Rescue can identify the lineage and potential health
 problems.  Is this true?  I'm not concerned about papers, etc, as I am not
 looking for a show animal, I want a healthy family member.

 Whoa, this is way too long :)  I'll save the rest of my questions for later
:)

 Thanks in advance

 Linda

 P.S.  K'hemo is an Indian word that means "white".  Remember Tonto and the
 Lone Ranger?  K'hemosabe means "white man" :) >>

You were lucky with the barking, but it sounds like you got in tune with your
dog also.  Five hours a day should be no problem at all.  The neighbors
Rottys might be a problem to your dog barking and fence fighting, especially
if they are aggressive.  I would crate also as this is good for the dog.
Might be best to crate while the dog is alone in the house those 5 hours.
Dogs can get upset and become quite destructive.  Especially with the dogs
next door, if the new Pyr does not like them that close.

Rescue probably cannot identify the breedre and if they can will probalby not
really know about the breeders genetic problems or care they take in their
breeding program.  You would be very lucky to get this from rescue.  Most
older breeders have older dogs or can find a suitable one for good homes.
While our rescues need their homes our conscious breeders who do not allow
their dogs to ever make it to rescue need good homes for their older dogs as
well.  I would persue both avenues.  Your answer will be in the process in
all likelihood.

Wonderful story about your K'hemo.  It is a very familiar one also that we
never tire hearing of in alll its nuances and shades of personality.  Where
are you located?

Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

Joe