Re: [pyrnet] New to list, lotta questions :)

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
> which would leave the pet home alone
> about 5 hours a day a couple of times a week.  Is this too long for a
>Pyr
> to be alone?  I'd rather that he stayed in the house while we are all
> out.  Can a mature Pyr last that long inside without discomfort?

Hi, Linda--welcome to the list!
I haven't opened my mail for a few days, and have not yet got through all
the messages, so forgive me if others have already responded to this.
Our experience is that an adult pyr can easily be left for this period of
time. They love to be with their people, but generally do fine on the odd
occasion they need to be left. We have never had one with severe
separation anxiety, although I know this is a possibility. Like you, we
have staggered schedules so ours are not usually alone for more than a few
hours, but we've left them for as long as 8 hours occasionally with no
problems at all. I make sure they get a good walk first, have plenty of
water, and the classical radio station (their favorite) on for company. I
think they sleep all day.
In terms of crating, we have crated our new adults (and certainly
puppies!) until we know they are both reliable and safe in the house. We
don't want accidents, and we don't want them chewing something that could
hurt them.
You may or may not know much about the history and breeding of a rescue
dog, but the rescue folks do a great job of checking health and
temperament before placing a dog. Of course, there's never a guarantee.
Good luck.
Ann, Peg, Ivy Rose and Tori