[pyrnet] Second Hand Dogs

Second Hand Dog

It's come to my attention that some people don't know
about us second-hand dogs. Being that I AM one, I
thought I'd tell you a little about me and about us.
My sisters, Cali and Mira, said they'd help me out
when if I get stuck for ideas or need help spelling
something. They came to our house when they were
puppies and my Mom had been waiting for them since
before they were born. That's not how it happened with
me. I got here all grown up and had been waiting for
her! She'd been waiting for me too, actually, but she
just didn't know it. Sometimes two-legs aren't as
smart about things as they think.

I'm a second hand dog, but I've got first rate love. I
wag my tail just for you. I practiced for the others
that got to me before you, but there's a special wag
and a little noise I make just 'specially for when I
see you and you've come home to me after being out for
a while.

I'm a second hand dog. Sometimes we second hand dogs
get to you because somebody who loved us died.
Sometimes we get to you because somebody we loved left
us. Sometimes we never had anybody before we got you.
Sometimes we lived forever in a cage until we don't
know how to do anything except spin in circles. We
made puppies for people who walk into pet stores to
pick up a book or some fishfood but want to be able to
leave with a puppy besides. Mom says dogs aren't meant
to be impulse buys, but so far America doesn't know
that. She wants to tell people to look me in the eye,
both the good one and the one that got ripped open in
the puppy mill, and tell me why it's important they
have the choice to walk into a store to buy a dog
without a plan the way some folks buy a magazine or a
pair of socks. But Mom says that isn't very nice of
her so she tries to say it in a better way.

We second hand dogs often have old eyes even when
we're babies. I think it's because we're used to
looking at people who don't see us. Once you DO see us
though....our old eyes are sparkly (even if you've got
a blind one, like me) while also being soft with love.
It can take a long time for the sad to drain out of
them though, or the scaredness. You might have to wait
a while for that to go away for good. But most of the
time, you'll get the soft and cushy love like
something you can just rest in. The first time we fall
asleep on you, my Mom says it's like somebody gave you
the best present ever.

We second hand dogs come with things we know, but
there's plenty we don't, so we need you to help us
learn what's important in our family. Can I go on the
furniture? Where do I eat? How do you want me to let
you know when I need to go outside? Can I chase the
cats? How should I say hello to people who come to
visit? Will you leave me when you take me on a car
ride? What if I eat your slippers (because you forgot
to tell me I shouldn't and left them where I found
them)? I'll learn the things I need to know, but I
need you to figure out the lessons and help me
practice the homework. I love the sound of
that.....HOMEwork. Second hand dogs love practicing
their HOMEwork.

So if there's ever a time when you think there might
be room for a second hand dog in your family, don't be
afraid to bring us home. In fact, you can try it for a
while and be a foster mom or dad. If you help us
practice our HOMEwork, then one day we'll be ready for
a family of our own. And for us second hand dogs, just
like the dogs that got waited for before they got
born, a family is the best thing ever.

Your Truly,
Tansy I got a home now Pansy Pants

Copyright 2002 Lu Wyland