Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 1:44 PM
Subject: [pyrnet] Dog attack

We recently placed a seven month old spayed female with some folks who raise goats on a 5 acre farm.  In fact, she arrived last Sunday morning (this is Wednesday) They had been having trouble with what appeared to be a dog predating the herd and had lost one goat with others injured.  Early this morning the man heard screams and snarls from his creep feeder pen and ran out to find a rottweiller x mongrel savaging five young goats.  He shot the dog and noticed two forms running away which he thinks were escaping goats but he is not sure.  He also noticed that none of his other goats or his Pyr were there.  He found the main herd bunched at the far corner of the property (they normally sleep within feet of the pen where the attack ocurred) with the young female Pyr with them.  I don't know the exact attitude of the dog but from the converstaion she came across as alert and guarding.  Between her arrival and now, the Pry has stayed with the goats consistently and has alerted every time anything entered the barn, even her new owners.

Our interpretation of the event was that the Pry moved the herd as far from danger as possible and stayed to protect them.  Why she did it this way or whether she intentionally left the young goats to the predator is a mystery.  Paula pointed out that if she had stayed to fight and lost (possible, apparently the attacker, of unknown age, weighed about 20 pounds more than she did and it's barely possible that the two escaping forms were other dogs), that the safety of the entire herd could have been endangered.  I think I would have rather had a dead Pyr and a severely injured predator.

Our questions are:

1. Do you think she reacted properly?
2. If you think it was a bad decision, do you think her immaturity played a role in this decision?
3. Do you think she should be retained as an LGD?

We have offered a refund or replacement for the Pyr and the man is not interested.

Dan & Paula Lane
Bountiful Farm
Full Blood & Percentage Boer Goats
AKC Great Pyrenees LGDs