[pyrnet] CHAT: Rescue dogs and...

Had an interesting experience yesterday. As most of you know I have a foster
Rescue dog here named Elle. She was picked up as a stray, and the Shelter
was full. She had been held the required amount of time, so Rescue was
called. Next step for her had we not taken her was euthanasia. A member from
another Rescue pulled her from the Shelter and had her vetted. She had
received Vaccs at the Shelter. They had her about 10 days or so then brought
her to me. She's fairly well trained and automatically sits for pets. I was
feeling sort of bad for her former owners, and was wondering if perhaps Elle
missed them. So... Yesterday someone came to pick up their dog food. (I'm a
small scale distributor) and I knew she had studied animal communication. I
asked her to see what she could find out from Elle. Well, Elle would like to
stay here. She feels loved and likes the food. <G> Her former owners took
care of her but they ignored her. She gets LOTS of pets here. She does not
know how old she is, but (in her words) "I'm all grown up"! I happened to
mention to Sandy, (my friend and fellow dog food user) that Chel cannot wait
until Elle has a new home. "Oh no!", she said. "I doubt that!" So she asked
her. Chel concurred with what I had told Sandy. LOL! Now, do I put a lot of
stock in animal communication? Not really, but I have a pretty open mind,
and it made me feel a bit better. Elle is such a sweet and gentle soul, I
did not want her pining away for her former family. Although she did not
seem to be doing so. She's quite a good girl and settled in very quickly.
She now barks when someone comes in as well. Oh, and when I come home from
work or from being somewhere else, after she is put out to potty and let
back in, she very politely asks to give me a hug. Which I allow on occasion.
This consists of very gently grabbing me around the waist and lying her head
on my chest. She only does this when I tell her it is OK. My son and
daughter want to keep her too. But that is out of the question. She adores
kids and is ever patient. She is a good dog to go to a first time Pyr owner.
(or even someone who's had Pyrs before!) Next Sunday we go to the Rescue
Fair in Lahaska, PA. There will hopefully be a contingent of Penn-Dutch
Rescue Pyrs. Elle will be one of them. If we can find her the perfect home
before then, she may even be leaving here for the last time. We'll see. Do I
love her? Yes. Will it be hard to let her go? Yes. But as long as she finds
a loving home, she'll be better off. If the right home doesn't come along
next week, she'll stay here until we find it. You can have a look at Elle
here. http://www.pyrbred.org/resavail.html

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs)
& Flopsy (Pyrenean Shepherd)
"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!"
bamb@monmouth.com