Re: [pyrnet] Help Please!

Nancy, the info below info is forwarded with the permission of my friend
Belinda who owns Geordie the Viszla mentioned in my previous post.  She
sends this with the rider that she feeds a natural diet and has done for
eons, and that Geordie was diagnosed too late for conventional treatment so
she pursued an alternative path.  Also a note regarding the chewing - in
discussing it with he last night she reminded me that it can be a fine path
to walk in the first stages as you want to keep the dogs jaw moving so it
does not atrophy and lose strength but at the same time not go overboard
with too much chewing which will promote further inflammation.  I would
still suggest therefore not going to soft foods too soon, but at the same
time, harder bones are not the way to go either if the dog is not used to
them (although softer bones such as chicken necks/wings would probably be an
option).  Anyway, here is the info:

<<Following are some sites re masticatory myositis ( which can be an
interchangeable term with atrophic myositis)that may be helpful:

1."Canine masticatory muscle disorders
G. Diane Shelton, DVM, PhD; and George H. Cardinet III, DVM, PhD":
http://medicine.ucsd.edu/vet_neuromuscular/masticat.pdf
Please note:you will need to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader in order
to download this 4 pg. article. To download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader
you can go to this site:http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html

2."May 1999 - Most Commonly Asked Questions about Masticatory Muscle
Myositis"
http://medicine.ucsd.edu/vet_neuromuscular/case.html#May

3."NEUROMUSCULAR DISORDERS AFFECTING YOUNG DOGS AND CATS: ABSTRACT  G. DIANE
SHELTON DVM, PhD"
http://www.neurovet.org/Shelton1/SheltonAbstract.htm#Shelton1 abstract

4."NEUROMUSCULAR CASE OF THE MONTH - JANUARY 2002
MASTICATORY MUSCLE MYOSITIS IN A 13 WEEK OLD MALE SALUKI MIX DOG"
http://medicine.ucsd.edu/vet_neuromuscular/case3.html#January

5.If you go to the following site, College of Veterinary Medicine,
Cornell University:
        http://www.vet.cornell.edu/consultant/consult.asp
and click on Diagnosis, on the following screen for Species select
Canine and for Diagnosis Keyword type:  masticatory myositis,
on the following screen you can click on 2 possible diagnosis for more
information, and in References you can click on  [Web Reference] PubMed
to enter MEDLINE. In MEDLINE if any of the abstracts are useful you can
click on Order for info re ordering the journal articles.

6.  Also do a search on pubmed for atrophic myositis or MMM.
http://www4.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

for more information on atrophic myositis or MMM feel free to contact me and
I will help if I can.

Belinda Mitchell
dubhruah@goldweb.com.au  >>

Note that Belinda will be overseas this week, so expect a delay in response
if you write to her.  She would be happy to help and has talked in the past
with many other people who have dogs with MMM.

Tracy Bassett
Murrumbateman, Australia
espinay@bigpond.com