[pyrnet] RE: Estagel and Estat d'Argeles of Basquaeire

Chrissy

No one has answered you last question so far, so I give it a try.

No doubt many good pyrs were experted to USA and England, and also that world war 2 was a big problem in France, because  many breeders could not afford to feed their dogs, much less breed them, but some good dogs survived, and I think the differences we see today is more a question of different priorities in different parts of the world.
It seems in USA there has been a lot of focus on soundly build and good moving pyrs. That seems to be what it takes to win at shows, maybe a correct head is not so neccesary. In France it is different, type is more important. Sure they want soundly buildt good movers also, but not at any cost.
I for one see no reason why a dog should not be both sound and with correct type, and I think the correct pyr that has it all is recognized in the show ring and by breeders everywhere. And today when people travel much more than they use to - and with so many websides available on the internet, more breeders keep up with what is going on in the rest of the world and realize where they have to improve on their own.
Surely most serious breeders try to achieve the perfect dog, but this is difficult, not to say impossible, so we very often we have to compromize, and this is were we choose differently. What is important to me, may not be the most important thing to you. I for one have no use for a big white well build sound moving dog, if it does not have the triangel shaped head and the small almond shaped eyes, that give the pyr impression that I love so much, on the other hand I have no use either for just a lovely head with an unsound body. It is a question of finding the level of imperfection in both type and soundness that I can live with.
Btw a pyr can have a long healthy life with no problems even if it has a narrow front and toes out somewhat, but it does not look very nice.

Lene Nielsen
sandybear@orangenet.dk
http://hjem.orangenet.dk/~wai38745/