Re: [pyrnet] chat: Pyrenees Mountain Breeds

We have 2 Pyrenean Shepherds that we have had for almost 10 years. We got them
from Patricia Princehouse who , I believe,  was One of the first people to bring
Pyr Sheps from France for the purpose of  doing a breeding program of US Pyr
Sheps.  She also founded the Pyrenean Shepherd Club of America (I think they
have a web site)   Ours look like miniature Briards...one is black-grey and
oversized and the other one is blond and small.  They also look like many
smallish shaggy dogs. Both of ours are the "rough" variety with hair covering
their face.  There is also a smoothe variety that looks quite different.  Their
temperament is very different from Pyrs.  As herding dogs, they are pretty hyper
and always jumping up and down and running around barking to get our attention.
They can be a bit nippy. Ours are not great with children.  Ours are also very
protective and not as tolerant of cats as our Pyrs are, but are fine with the
ones that they have decided "belong". The trait which is most amazing to Pyr
owners is that they become very attached to their owners and will stick like
glue...i.e. you can take them anywhere without a leash! They seem to live for
the owners attention.   I would think that they would be perfect dogs to train
for agility.  They love to run and jump and seem to have no fear of heights.
There are quite a few Pyr owners who have Pyr Sheps (BarbBowes for one)  Alain
Pecoult of France who is the President of the Pyrenean Mountain Dogs Federation
(Joe...I know this is the wrong title) breeds Pyrenean Shepherds. As with most
breeds, I would venture to say that there are many opinions about where to find
the "best breeders". Probably the best way to go about it would be to contact
the breed clubs, ask lots of questions,  meet as many breeders as you can and
see as many dogs as you can.
Charlotte Perry