RE: [pyrnet] housetraining question

I'm amazed that a 4 month old can wait to go all day!  How many hours are
you talking about?  I was worried about my puppy at about that age going
about that often and my vet said that puppies can't hold it for any longer
than that unless they're asleep.  Their organs & muscles have to mature and
develop.

I think you really have to watch her every minute inside and outside.  Grab
her if she starts to pee inside and get her out.  Praise and reward her if
she pees outside.  But you really have to do it every time to make the
training go quickly.  She probably just doesn't understand that it matters
where she goes because you're not always there to tell her.

I had the luxury of being home for a full week and then work half-days for
3 weeks when I got my 1st Wolfhound.  I never took my eyes off him for a
minute and he was 99%  trained in a week and never had another accident
after the second week.

I didn't have as much time at home with my Pyr puppy, but I did my best and
she was 99% in 2 weeks and perfect after 3 weeks.

I had no time off with my latest Wolfhound puppy and my son, who was home,
didn't let her out when he was supposed to, and she was only fairly
reliable after a few months and not really good until she was about 10
months old.

It all depends on how much attention you can pay to them.  You basically
have to avoid letting them make any mistakes and catch them any time they
do.

Some people suggest keeping them leashed to your waist, so that they're
right there next to you all the time and you don't miss what they're doing.

I also found that having a dog door was a big help.  I don't have one now,
with this latest puppy.

Stephanie Whitney
srwhitney1@earthlink.net

> I am having a heck of a time housetraining my 4 month old girl. Now, it's
been
> a while since I had a little girl so that be it.
>
> She is crated during the day and can hold it the whole time, no problem.
But
> when we're home she can barely go 20 minutes without accidents. I've never
> seen a dog pee so often! So often, I had the vet check her for any urinary
> infections. She's clean.
>
> I will take her out on a lead so I know she's done her business, usually
more
> than once. She comes in and before I know it, puddle on the floor. Not a
> little puddle either. If I just toss her outside, she finds bones, plays,
has
> a good time, will come in and pee on the floor.
>
> One book I read suggests crating for 20 min, potty time, play time for 40
min,
> repeat the cycle. She's crated during the day so I hate to crate her in
the
> evening, but I have to tell you, I'm tired of stepping in warm puddles.
<g>