[pyrnet] Health: after surgery

Sue,

We had a fast growing tumor (a hemangiosarcoma) removed from
our 8 1/2 year old Pyr Travis last November, followed by
three rounds of chemotherapy.  The vets could not promise a
cure, even though they removed the whole tumor with clean
margins, because the odds were that it had micrometastasized
already.  But without the treatment, he would have died in
six weeks. They estimate that now he will have at least from
six months to a year or more (one of their patients is still
alive after three years) of good quality life.

I just wanted you to know how glad we were to have it all
done.  The worst problem with the chemo was just trying to
get him to eat.  He had 'almost' normal energy and interest
in life, and now that the last chemo treatment is a month in
the past, he is acting like a pyr puppy, like a white
tornado. He seems happier and more fit than before the tumor
was diagnosed.

We had some mighty bouts of hand-wringing along the way, but
it was mostly due to our inexperience.  Please let me if I
can help you out with any specific information.

Best wishes to you from Tuff Travis and little rescue Sugar, too.

Gerry in Pepperell, Mass