Re: [pyrnet] seperation anxiety

Hi Tracy, no, I don't make of big deal of coming & going. I have tried placing her food next to the crate, she'll eat it.  Even her favorite treat will NOT induce her into it...until yesterday for about 10 seconds.  I have also (the few times she's been in it) made sure she's in there about 5-10 minutes before I leave and after I get home. The ONLY thing that seemed to settle her at all was putting my dirty, old tee-shirt, with a tiny bit of my perfume in the crate with her.

I don't mind tthat she isn't totally thrilled at the idea, what bothers me is the damage she has done to herself in it.

As for the puppy, I am thinking about it, but will not make a decision for a few months.  Angel is 8 months old now, so will be close to 10-12 months before we make any final decision on it.  I'm SERIOUSLY hoping that this is resolved within the next few months.  She's gotten over the picky eating, thanks to the help from list members.  She's over her "hot spot" and is finally getting some hair back and has now been left home alone three times, finding her sleeping on her bed  after checking the window a few times.  The last hurdle is the crate and we're working on it slowly but surely. I will not do anything about a brother or sister for her until I'm confident that she's over the problem because the thought has occured to me that I could be doubling my trouble, rather than making it a better situation.

Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions.  I'm trying them, a little at a time.  Prys are deffinitely a breed that will not be rushed into doing something they don't want to do~

Cat & Angel

 Tracy <espinay@bigpond.com> wrote:

<< So, for now, the crate door stays open while it sits unoccupied in the
dining room. >>Cat

I have only been following this thread with half an eye due to being ultra
busy lately, so forgive me if I am remembering/reading wrong or this has
been suggested.

While you/she has had a bad experience wit hthe crate so far, don't give up
on it totally at this point. My suggestion to slowly acclimate her to
thinking the crate is an ok thing (and not something she is suddenly put in
when everyone leaves her alone for the first time ever) is to feed her in
it. If she really hates it, you can start by putting the bowl near the open
door. Next put it just inside the door (or start there if she is ok with
that). She can stand either in or out of the crate at first as she prefers.
Let her decide when she is ready to go all the way in to eat with the door
open. You can then half close the door then later still with the door all
the way closed. Also at this point you can give treats in there - like a
big bone to chew on. Do all this when you are around. After a while you
can 'pop out of the room' for longer and longer periods when she is there.
Leave access to the crate when she is in the room so she can go in if she
wants. What you are aiming to do is change the crate from being that
'scary place they put me when I am alone' to 'that safe little den where
the food and other nice things are'.

I have a few dogs here that were never crated as youngsters and hated them
with a venegance. I now have a room that is my 'dog room' - a number of
crates set up and some comphy armchairs. Dogs can go in and out of the room
when they like and are fed in the crates. I find just the fact that the
crates are there, are used for meals, and are not a 'big deal' any more
means they will often be found sleeping in there of their own accord. And
now when they are away with me and I need to use a crate it is not a hassle
for them (or me!).

Another thing I just thought of. It your crate a wire collapsible one or
one like a vari-kennel? If it is the latter and she is claustrophoblic, you
may find the wire one is better at least at first.

<< I'm also thinking strongly along the lines of adding a "brother" or
"sister" for her. I'll make the decision over the next couple of months.>>

My own opinion, and I also suggest this to members of my puppy kindy
classes, is that two pups together, rather than solving problems will often
double them instead. You may end up with two dogs that have separation
anxiety not only when separated from you, but also when separated from each
other. My suggestion would be to work on the separation anxiety etc with
this pup and when she is about 12 months old or more, then perhaps think of
adding another dog to the household. And when the new pup arrives, make
sure you give lots of one-on-one time to both dogs so either can be left at
home when the other is out ect.

I can't remember whether this was mentioned or not, but what are you
doing/how are you acting when you leave her on your own? Making a big fuss
when you leave and/or arrive cna actually make a situation worse. It is
better to ignore the pup before you leave and leave with a casual 'back
soon' and no backwards glance (hard as it may be to do). Giving a treat as
you leave like a big biscuit, a bone or a stuffed Kong toy etc can also keep
them occupied during the initial leaving phase. When arriving, ignore the
pup fur a few minutes, or just give a casual, calm pat. No overexcited
welcomes. Some anxiety/destructiveness can actually be caused by the stress
of anticipating the welcome. Also, make sure that when you come home, if
there is any destruction mess, do not yell/rouse at the pup. The pup will
not associate the telling off with the destruction, but with you coming home
('gee, who is this unbalanced pack member that comes home and growls at me
for no reason!' ). Again, the anticipation of being yelled at can create
even more anxiety/destruction!

Hope there is something here that helps a little. All the best to you and
Angel.

Tracy Bassett
Murrumbateman, Australia
espinay@bigpond.com