Re: [pyrnet] OCD

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cat" <cmsockol@sbcglobal.net>

I'll have the vet x-ray it to be on the safe side, thanks Barb.  The
information you sent sates that it's most often inherited, but sire and dam
are not afflicted with OCD, so I'm hoping it is as the vet felt, a muscle
pull.>>

There is some debate even among orthopedists about the heritability of OCD.
Probably the pattern is that a dog inherits the *potential* for developing
it.  But the actual occurance is precipitated by some kind of trauma.  I
don't want to create any sort of "guilt" or blame here but it is a good
opportunity to issue a warning.  Do not allow young "pups", probably until
they are at least 8 months old, to run and slide and fall on slippery
surfaces and do not allow them to jump DOWN from anything.  Out of a car or
truck or even off a couch.  the compression of the joint can cause the
cartilege to "tear".  That being said, Barb is absolutely right that
inherited conditions can occur without being seen in either parent.  that is
why they keep happening.  Reasonable breeders do not breed affected dogs but
the problems still exist.  Which is the purpose of guarantees.

I disagree with your vet that injuries and limping are "common" in large
breed puppies.  I seldom see them and I am in a "panic" when one of my pups
starts limping.  OCD is not all that UNcommon in large dogs and I am
actually a bit surprised that your vet has not already done that x-ray.

OCD surgery requires very careful after care (as do all ortho surgeries) but
if it is done competently and time is taken with recovery, Angel should live
the rest of her life with no subsequent problems.

All that being said, I will hope with you that it is a pull or sprain.  But
since she seems to have repeated the injury, I think that I would make some
effort to control the amount of leaping, spinning etc that she is doing.

Linda