From: Renilda Van Aerden [mailto:rvanaerd@ucalgary.ca]
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2003 11:42 AM
To: Pyrnet-l
Subject: [pyrnet] Your pyr's behaviour

Christine,

If you got in trouble in obedience classes because your pyr didn't obey
the commands instantly, this means that the trainer has no knowledge of
how pyrs learn.

Pyrs do obey, however, they take their time.  They watch to see if you
really mean what you say, but if you are a good leader, they will obey.
The mistake is to tell them a command, then, if they don't obey
immediately, to let go and forget about it.  This tells them that they
don't have to listen, and the longer they wait, the easier they will get
out of it.  The trick is to be very patient, make sure you are always
friendly but firm.  If you tell them to come, they may first need to
check if there are no 'burglars' around, then make their way slowly to
you, BUT, when they reach you, they need to be praised for coming.
Commands should not be repeated over and over again neither.

Renilda