Re: [pyrnet] Behavior Problem Pyr

Hi AMy, it sounds like you've got your hands full.  Congrats on the pregnancy.
I'm no expert at Pyr behavior, being a new Pyr "mom" myself.  My thoughts are based on having raised large dogs my whole life (mixed breeds & labs).

I'm surprised the breeder didn't hesitate sending a Pyr into a home without a fenced yard or som type of outdoor kennel/run.  I think you are more than likely right on the mark about her being teased and injured by the kids when tied out.  She'd make an easy target for any mean spirited child OR adult.  I DO know that the barking might be able to be controlled through muzzling in most breeds, but am not sure how it will (or won't ) work with the Pyr.  I don't mean leaving a muzzle on.  I mean, when there is inappropriate barking, warn, then muzzle, leaving it on for only about 5 minutes, letting her associate the muzzle with the inappropriate barking.  The aggression is another thing.  Has she ever shown aggression to anyone in the home?  her "flock", so to speak?

I know this may not sound terribly bright, but if the vet has treated her for the mange, has he done any microscopic testing of the skin?  It would seem to me that he would KNOW it was mange and which type before treating her.  Since she likes to lie in the dirt, it is possible there are fleas in the dirt.  She may be sensetive to the flea bites (as is my girl), causing her to chew, which creates dampness with all the hair, creating "hot spots", causing scabbing.  Although Angle is on Revolution, she can still get bitten while not "carrying" fleas & ticks on herself.  She just scrateches & chews 'cause it, the bite itself  itches.

IF that is the case, removing the hair over the actual "hot spot" and treating it with Gentocin wil work wonders.  I also keep "bitter apple" spray handy, to keep her from chewing, which starts the mess to begin with.  She's (knock wood) only had to have one hot spot, the first, treated by our vet.  When I notice her scratching or starting to chew, out comes the bitter apple.  If she persists, I check to see if she has an injury of any type, such as a bite.  If she does, then I clean the area & treat with the Gentocin (a spray).
Good luck & I hope things work out well for you.  I'm sure the experienced Pyr owners on the list will be far more helpful.
Cat & Angle
Amy Hogan <amydiara@yahoo.com> wrote:
We have a 3 year old female Pyr, who we have had since
she was 7 weeks. For year 1 and 2 she was very bad
(headstrong, into everything, disobienant, to this day
she refuses to fully housebreak, etc) but very gentle
and wonderful with strangers and kids. When she
turned 2 she became aggressive. Part of the problem
(in hindsight) was that we would tie her up outside in
the backyard with a 50ft lead b/c she loved to lay in
the grass, etc. and we dont have a fence. Well we
think that perhaps some neighborhood kids started
throwing things at her when we werent paying attention
(found golf balls, small rock, etc in the yard)-
probably b/c she barks constantly. Tragically this
has correlated into her becoming very distrustful of
kids and strangers.

She has been through extensive training and the thing
is, when she is out at the trainers she is very mild
and obiendant with them and when she comes home, she
is right back to her old ways. I think its
territorial based. I did call a rescue group for
advice on this behavior and they felt she came from a
bad breeder--which wasnt too much help. We love this
dog despite the huge headache she is and dont want to
give her up. Some questions:

1. I dont know the best way to correct her when she
starts to snarl and bark. If I correct her with her
choke chain she seems to get angier. I try to talk to
her in soothing tones, but nothing seems to really
work. She is inconsistant on when she does this and
when she will just wag her tail and hope to be pet

2. Im newly pregnant and terrified about the dogs
reaction to a baby and whether we will be able to keep
her. The one thing that makes me a little hopeful is
that she often barks and growls at people on our front
walk, but once we let them in the house, she becomes
more submissive towards them.

3. Unrelated to this but related to our now $6K
investment in this dog (unreal) is that the vet thinks
she has mange. Where she got this from I dont know.
But we treated her for one round (5 treatments) where
she was scratching the back of her leg and rubbing the
hair off. Now 4 weeks later, clumps of hair are
coming off her side and top and back and its not her
normal spring shedding. Plus the fur is engrained
with what looks like shed scabs or peeled skin. I
know this sounds disgusting and it is to an extent,
but the vet has her on a 6 round treatment now and
this is costing a ton of money and there is no way to
definatively diagnosis it as mange. Has anyone else
experienced this???

Sorry for the length!!!

Any advice appreciated.