Re: [pyrnet] [PyrNet-L] Zuni is Gone

I'm so sorry to hear that Zuni is gone. But she is at peace now and we send you wishes that you find heart peace soon as well.

Ginger Schiffer

-----Original Message-----
From: D3melza@aol.com
Sent: Oct 12, 2003 12:02 PM
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject: [pyrnet] [PyrNet-L] Zuni is Gone

Hello All,

?? Stefan and I had to put Zuni down this morning. It was quick and horrible.
She was fine last night, was playing in the yard, and really enjoyed the
frozen Buffalo bone I gave her. At 2:00am I woke up to a crash and found her
having some sort of crisis on the floor of the kitchen. She had kicked over a pot
in the process, which was what woke me up, thank goodness. She was unresponsive
for a few minutes and was all stiff, frothing at the mouth, and had been
incontinent. We hurried to take her to the Referral Center ER and by the time we
got going she was alert again and walking. They said most likely she had brain
metastasis from her bone cancer, which was causing her to have seizures. She
appeared OK and some quick blood work didn't tell us much else, so we opted to
bring her home for the night and watch her until we could speak with her
oncologist. She slept on her couch, was fine at 7:00am and went out to pee with
Belle (her littermate) and came in fine. At 8:00 she had another, more violent
seizure. After that, she ate her breakfast just fine. While trying to decide
what to do again, they kept happening more frequently. Sometimes they would just
be small, all in her face, and other times she would just crash down and
thrash her limbs uncontrollably. It was terrifying to watch and it was clear she
was suffering. We couldn't get ahold of her doctor, but by this point it was
painfully obvious that there wasn't anything we could do for her but put and end
to it. She was starting to act like she didn't even know where she was at
home, and I'm not sure she knew I was with her. Bellie came and they touched noses
before we left. Everyone at the Referral Center was wonderful. The worst part
was that they had a terrible time trying to get a catheter into her leg for
the drugs. She kept seizing and had very low blood pressure. They finally gave
her valium and got her stable so we could say goodbye. At this point I felt
like she was already partway gone. I looked into her eyes, but I didn't see her
familiar love and recognition anymore. She just looked lost and vacant. So we
held her, I kissed her muzzle, and the rest was blessedly fast and peaceful.
We're just devastated. We knew it was coming, but I never considered it would
be like this or so soon. I feel relief at least that everything is over for her
and that she was comfortable and happy up until today. She's whole again and
happy, I hope, at the bridge. Now we're the ones who have to heal... Thanks
for listening.

Emily
Denver, CO
D3melza@aol.com