RE: [pyrnet] Fence height for pyrs

On 15 Oct 2003 at 16:37, Marci Gruhlkey wrote:

> Kelly, I have a 4' fence for Montana and he has never jumped over. .
> .But, from what I have heard it depends on the Pyr :). Also, Montana
> can open most gates unless they are secured with some kind of locking
> mechanism. Hope this helps.

Yes, it does depend on the PYR!  In rescue we try to evaluate the
dog as to fencing.  Will stay in 4', 5', 6'. etc OR NONE AT ALL!
Some will, some will not.  I have also heard of Pyrs that can open
doors inside the house.   If your second pyr is to be a puppy, it will
probably follow the lead of the first pyr, especially if spay/neutered.
If a rescue, then the rescue folks should be able to tell you what
kind of fence the dog respects and if the dog digs, etc.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico
http://www.mitzis.net/judy/