Re: [pyrnet] [dthoele1@hotmail.com: Entry to Guestbook]

We have our second male pyr, Charlie and the shedding is substantial because the dog is big.  When we had three dogs, a yellow lab, a black lab and a pyr, we had rainbow hair balls so it was not as obvious.  Now years later with just Charlie, when we go to Puppy Class at the SPCA, there are white furs balls flying when he plays with the other dogs.  With a Great Dane, a St Bernard and a Pyr (all 6 to 8 months old) playing as only big dogs can, it seems that Charlie is the only one leaving hair behind although it is not apparent where it is coming from.  Brushing everyday helps but does not stop it.

As far as furniture and clothing choices, I find it does not matter what the color is, as much as the texture.  Smooth surfaces are easier to clean, cut pile carpet vacuums easier, fur flies across wood floors, and tweeds, while they hide the hair, tend to hold the hair too.  A berber rug is a cleaning nightmare.

Charlie barks a moderate amount.  He is usually looking at something when he barks not barking at something he hears - unless it is the children next door calling him.  Can't seem to break the children of that habit.  I am trying to train Charlie to "ignore it" but it is difficult.  Jascha barked at things he could hear but not necessariily see.  Jascha barked if other dogs in the neighborhood barked, Charlie does not.   With Jascha though I learned that  no matter how many dogs are barking, it is the Pyr voice that is recognized.  Much like the Malamute my parents had whose howl could be heard three blocks away.   Yuki did like to howl at a full moon, it wasn't just a myth for him.