Re: [pyrnet] Help- I've just rescued a Pyr Pup

Thanks for the input!  My boy is 5 1/2 months old and is already 61 pounds.  He eats between 5 to 6 cups of food a day.  Does that sound like enough to you?  I don't know.  I'm really hoping this little guy works out, because I'd like to keep him.  I already have a male Golden who is as mellow as mellow can be, and a Golden/Pyr mix.  He may be mixed but his personality is all Pyr.  I have read that males don't get along with each other, but so far it's been pretty good.  Bailey, that's the Pyr mix has had to put the pup in his place a couple of times.  Other than that everything's good.  I hope it stays that way!!!
Thanks again,
Jennifer

Barb Bowes <greatpyr@enter.net> wrote:
I'd keep the pup on the thin side. Much better for growing bones and joints. I just got a 7 month old pup into Rescue today who is at least 10 lbs. overweight. All fat, almost no muscle and he's showing signs of panosteitis. He ate his first meal here this evening and I've put him on adult food. He didn't finish his dinner of 1.5 cups and that's just fine with me. This boy is officially on a weight reduction and muscle building diet. Unless of course he grows more which will thin him out. He's quite a big boy already and I wish they had watched his calorie intake more closely. Too many potential orthopedic problems down the road with all that extra weight and size. So from here on out he'll grow more slowly. Perhaps since there is no 2 year old here to feed him peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every day, it will happen quickly. <G> This boy was another spontaneous acquisition from a pet store as he was a cute and fluffy 8 week old. Got too big for the owner's apartment so they dumped him on the neighbor with a yard. No fence though, and couple that with a 2 year old child who has absolutely no discipline and no manners, and the dog's exercise consisted of several trips outside the door on lead to do his business then right back in the house. He is slowly exploring the several hundred feet of fenced yard here, and seems to be enjoying himself. He's been out with a couple of the female Rescues here (one girl at a time) and even ran and played a bit. Spent a few hours in the kennel when he first arrived with 2 Rescue girls in the kennel next door and did well. Went right into the crate when I brought him inside. (didn't surprise me really as he was a pet store dog) He seems to be a really good boy with no behavioral problems. Didn't even mind the 2 kids climbing all over him and fighting with each other while they did so. A very tolerant dog. Lord knows, I was a bit more than annoyed at the kids. <G> I guess that since my kids are both adults, I'm just not used to the antics of 2 and 3 year olds.

Barb Bowes
Chelsea (Pyr)  Twister (Pyr)
Flopsy (Pyrenean Shepherd)
greatpyr@enter.net