Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 9:20 PM
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Help- I've just rescued a Pyr Pup

Hi,

My 23 month old Pyr is also a nibbler/grazer.  Unfortunately he is now an only "child" after losing my 15 year old shepherd nearly a year ago.  Thus, I can leave food out and not worry about anyone eating it.  Cody only eats about 2 cups of dry Nutro Max a day, with about 2 tbsp of table scraps for dinner.  In the morning I give him a milk bone and a couple of Nutro biscuits.  He usually eats these after dinner.  So, I leave it all up to him.  Since he eats so little and I was concerned about his weight, we've started giving him snacks throughout the day.  He is especially fond of cheese - the only food he will pick up off the floor if you drop.  So, it seems that Pyrs can be quite fussy, but like a human child, they eat when they are hungry and do well.

I also empathize with having a heck of time with him when he was a pup.  I'm glad I had vacation time built up at work and I took 4 weeks off when I first got him.  But, in the end, the beautiful pet that I now have was well worth all the challenges.  The Pyr owners on this listserv were a great help.  I was told that all would pass and everyone was right!  Keep up the effort - a Pyr is well worth it.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced their Pyr "killing" their food? Cody will pounce at his milk bones and biscuits and jump back as if it bit him.  He'll do this for a little while and then will eat.  It is cute to see - if only I could be in his head to see what he is imagining!

Christine