Re: Re: [pyrnet] Food issues-Pano

<<Albon is a tough drug and is usally prescribed when pups have coccidia (sp?) - it can burn out the kidneys / forming crystals so I was told by my vet.  It it not to be used often or lightly.>>

My vet disagrees completely (likelyhood of these secondary effects with low doses) with this as do several others of some large breeders in NE at least in low doses as would be used with this protocol.  About half what is given for coccydea (sp?).  Dr. Brown, I am told my many, recommended Albon as well or at least did a few years ago when he was practicing.  I believe the remadyl and ecogesic given fairly routinely my many vets have more problems documented than a low dose a sulfa based drug like Albon.  But I would like to see the reports documented of Albon being a problem in these low doses with what you describe. The greatest problem with albon is a resistance to it by coccydea and other pathogens it is routinely used to combat, but this is occuring anyway and at present seems not to affect Albons effectiveness with Pano.

As far as self limiting, our philosophy is one never knows which cases will become severe and those that can go to the back legs until the disease is active. If the low doses can prevent this occurance, it seems a good tradeoff, at least to  us it does.  Our experience backs this up to date as does a couple other breeders as well.

Joe