Re: Re: [pyrnet] Re: Pano and diet

<<Atkins has been around for about 30 years the diet itself is not a fad but perhaps
the "commerical" band wagon is....that remains to be seen.   I do not think it's a
miracle diet - it works for some and not others.>>

Well, depends upon how one defines "fad".  It may have been around for 30 years (?)
but at this point is is definitely a fad.  And not just the commercial peddling of lo
carb food.  That arose *because* of the fad.

<<Dr. Jean Dodds has been for years a big advocate that we over vaccinate our dogs -
she has done her own studies (currently doing a study on blood levels for raw fed
dogs).  Many consider and still do consider her eccentric - however, folks started to
listen.>>

She's a bit more than eccentric.  She is not held in widely high regard by her
collegues or by a large number of dog people either.  At one point she developed a
blood test for von Willebrands in Dobermans.  It became VERY widely used due to her
"reputation".  Many dogs were eliminated from breeding.  Finally a dna marker was
isolated for vWd in Dobes.  Well, guess what?  The results of the blood test bore
precious little correlation to the dna marker.  Whoops... Well not to breeders who
had taken dogs out of programs.

<<   PEOPLE started to educate themselves and started sounding off as well.  Doing
titers and measuring antibodies of vaccinations can give you a good idea of just how
long these vaccinations last in our dogs.  Mind you each dog is different.    >>

Titers clearly have their uses. It would be more helpful if there were some widely
accepted standards.

Linda