[pyrnet] Health - possible infection in tail?

This list has always provided such helpful information since I have been on it over the last seven years, I was hoping I could pick your brains for some suggestions or advice.  We took our 7 year old, male (neutered) Pyr to the vet tonight because we noticed last night while brushing him he was over sensitive when I brushed out his tail, which is not the norm for him, he usually enjoys being brushed.  He actually yelped out in pain.  It seemed to us by just looking at it as if he may have injured his tail, as the last 6-8 inches or so was not curling up as usual, it seemed limp.  Unfortunately, due to his type of coat (cotton candy-like), it was hard to see way underneath of the tail.  Now after going to the vet I am much more concerned.  He shaved the tail down because he agreed it definitely did not feel the way it should.  Once the hair was gone, it revealed what looked like some type of skin infection, almost as if he had been chewing at it incessantly, which is bizarre because he has never chewed back there.  He's quite large, and I honestly don't think it would even be possible for him to reach it.  Anyway, at this point, we left the vet with instructions on bathing the tail twice a day with a medicated shampoo that he gave us, and he was also put on an antibiotic.  What alarmed me was the vet wants to see him again in five days and at that point if it doesn't look better, he will look into alternate treatments.  He mentioned to us though, that when he sees this, sometimes the infection gets so bad, it can cut the circulation off, which would lead to the amputation of the tail.  If anyone has any thoughts, advice, or a similar situation, I would be more than grateful to hear from you.  Thanks so much.

Sue G.
Pennsylvania
2 Pyrs - Darby & Chloe, both 7 years old