[pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20041129

I hope I'm sending this message in the appropriate manner,computerr
communication is not one of my strong points!! I am hoping some of you more
experienced Pyr folk can help me in my endeavors to do some bloodline
research. Actually what I have are some questions that have arisen as I
began to dig into old articles etc.

1) As I look at pictures, and compare the Pyrs I have seen at shows I see 2
distinct types. Some appear very large,with more mass and blocky St. Bernard
type heads.Others appear to be less extreme in their build, with a slightly
smoother, more wedge shaped head. As I read ,I note that there is a French
type. My guess is that it is the latter type. Am I correct? What are the
pros and cons of each type?

2) I am requesting  Pyr book as gifts during the holidays. My list included
the old Mary Crane book, either version of Paul Strang's book The(New)
Complete Great Pyrenees and Gentzler's The Great Pyrenees From France With
Love. I would appreciate opinions and insights from those of you who may
already have read them.

3) Have read a bit about the "old California " lines Who were they? What
characeristics did they bringinto the gene pool?

4) Can anyone suggest some good websites for sleuthing background info on
the more modern bloodlines, pedigree info etc?

Thanks alot, hope you folks can lend me some of your wisdom in my quest to
learn more about these wonderful dogs.

Sincerely,
Deb H.