Re: [pyrnet] Multi-Pyr Households

Hi. Beth, I love the idea of multiple dogs in the house but have personally
had a couple of problems. I had two male Bernese that were okay until the
younger one reached puberty and they had a fight over a bone and that was
pretty much it for them, they were kept separate for about 9 years, which as
you know can be quite difficult. Some years ago we had  adopted a female 3
yr. old Golden, Abby, then a 9 year old Pyr, Challenger and brought a
Bernese puppy, Chloe into the mix and they were all great together, then a
1yr. old male Golden Jake needed a home and he came to live with us and the
Pyr spent one day leaning on the neck of this new comer and then all was
fine after that. There was never a cross word within this group. Later after
losing Challenger at the age of 13 years we decided to take another Pyr but
a puppy this time. Toby has always been quite dominant and was quite hard on
Jake as he matured and there was quite a few scuffles, I always felt badly
about this because it was always my choice to "upset the apple cart". You
never really know how things will turn out with dogs, be they male or
female. It sounds like you feel, because  Czar isn't dominant, another male
won't cause a problem with him, but he is living with a dominant female and
it sounds like he is quite happy for her to rule the roost, it is really
hard to know how the dynamics would be changed if another male came on the
scene. Czar might be great in this situation but I personally have made a
decision to never have same sex living together again, which is unfortunate
and means that I can never have more than two dogs, but never say never.
There are just some breeds that do tend to be dominant and as we all know
Pyrs can certainly be inclined that way, your Czar might be the exception to
the rule.

Jo, Toby and Hannah(Golden)