Re: [pyrnet] Hello Everyone - New Member

I think that it is perfectly normal to feel nervous Betty, it really is like bringing home a baby. I have always worried is it enough to  have Pyrs as just "pets", because they all show the strong tendencies to guard and they love to do it. But we can't all have sheep and goats, and should that be enough for us not to enjoy this wonderful breed, I think not. They just live a different life from the Guardian Dogs trained for that purpose. Our Toby is 10 this year and he has been a wonderful companion and friend, I always feel safe having him in or outside of our home, he lets the world know that he is there and that is all I ask of him. I think that if a Pyr puppy comes into a home loved and appreciated for the beautiful breed that they are, then there is no need for guilt, any more than I feel sad that my Golden Retriever Hannah doesn't retrieve game. Toby barks and Hannah swims thats as close as we will probably get to their origins. So enjoy Dante and make him your beloved companion and he will reward you over and over again.

Jo, Toby and Hannah(Golden)
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 4:28 PM
Subject: [pyrnet] Hello Everyone - New Member

Hello, my name Betty.
I'm about to become a mom of a bouncing new Pyr. I get to bring him home in 2-3 weeks. I have to say, even with all the research (and maybe because of) I'm terrified of making mistakes. Dante is so trusting, I'd hate to mess that up. I'm worried about the fact that he should be a working dog. I do not own livestock. I do have a large yard and lots cool places to take daily walks. I have lots of love and and willing to ensure that he has proper grooming and health prevention, but, is this enough?Am I cheating him out of a more fulfilling life? If not, how can I ensure that he gets the quality of life worthy him, even as a lifetime companion?
Thank you so much for any help you may be and for your patience with a first time pyr mom. Jeez, I don't think I was this nervous bringing home my first child.