Re: [pyrnet] Hello Everyone - New Member Betty

    Hi Betty,
        I'm new too.  Have never posted a message before but enjoy reading and learning.  Our Ombre is just now a year old, and the most gentle critter I've ever encountered.  As I type this, she's laying by the backyard gate, watching me through the window.
    Ombre's "job" is to guard the chickens and the 1/2 acre back yard.  Her parents were true farm dogs, but we have only chickens. She considers them her personal responsibility.  If a hen gets out of the fence she will herd it back, but never touch it.  She will hold it in a corner until we come to open the gate so she can guide it back in.   She also tries to herd the cat, but that doesn't work so well. :)
    Her loving nature is just amazing.  I suspect your puppy will consider YOU his responsibility and be perfectly happy to "herd" you around.  I think it's the love that matters.
    My suggestion:  Do seriously train the puppy to basic obedience while you're stronger that it is.  Ombre is so playful and enthusiastic that she has accidently knocked me down a few times when I didn't see her coming.
    And we had to move the clothesline out of her reach. :)
    No other dog we've ever had even approaches the devotion of our Grt Pyr.  Don't know how we managed without her.
Nancy