Re: [pyrnet] Birth Announcement

I have to agree with Terry with regard to using a bell on the backdoor and training pups to nudge with their noses, we have used that and it works really well, the negative side of that is when they get older and are constantly nudging the bell and you know it isn't to go to the bathroom, so we have removed the indoor bell and left the one on the outside that tells us when someone wants to come in, not nearly so irritating :o) What is funny is that our 1 year old Golden still goes to the backdoor and lifts her nose toward the handle as if she is nudging the invisible bell, she is programmed to do it!!! Toby our 10 year old Pyr will stand and wait for someone to let him out and after a bit if nobody is responding he will step forward and nudge the bell, I am sure he thinks that he shouldn't have to....always makes me smile :o)

Jo, Toby and Hannah(Golden)
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 1:46 PM
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Birth Announcement

In a message dated 2/6/05 12:00:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, AngelsRWee1s@aol.com writes:

That sounds like a great addition to my growing library...lol I'm ordering it now, Thanks to you all. He had an exciting night but, still no accidents. Is this an Einstein or what? *GRIN
Betty & "Dante"

You just reminded me of something else regarding house breaking. Pyrs are easy to house break, and we have had great success with "Bell Training" You can get a small cow bell in the bird section of any pet store. Simply hang it on a string from the handle of the door that you use to take the puppy outside. For the purposes of training, use only this one door. Every time that you take Dante outside, ring the bell and use whatever word you choose (we say "Go Potty") to tell him what he is supposed to do. Within one or two days your puppy will begin to ring the bell (they push it with their nose) when he needs to go outside. As puppies do not have the same ability to control their bladders as older dogs, this method will allow Dante to avoid an accident in the house.

Terry