Re: [pyrnet] Deaf Pyrs

I agree that Benjamin is lovely, surprisingly well marked...Our deaf Bernese Chloe worked really well with hand signals, I took her to obedience training and she came top of the class..she didn't have the distractions that all the others had..she was only 5 months old at the time..I hadn't heard of using a flashlight back then but can see how it would work well. I think one of the only negatives about having a deaf dog was to try very hard not to scare them when they are asleep, most dogs sleep with half an ear listening to what's going on but she used to be in a very deep sleep, we felt so bad when something or someone would accidently touch her and she would fly into action with her eyes still droopy and half asleep and trying to see what was happening, but I have to say she never reacted with any agression EVER, we have the best memories of Chloe....

Jo, Toby and Hannah(Golden)

-------Original Message-------

Date: 03/09/05 11:46:17
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Deaf Pyrs

Benjamin is a handsome fellow!  I bet my Charlie, just a few months older, would love to have a brother.  But his name might have to become "Mom" because I would be in the dog house.

Does Benajmin bark very much??  Does he pick up on cues from other dogs and bark if they do or just let it go by?  Or find his own reasons ?