[pyrnet] grooming and food aggression

Regarding food aggression.  We brought 3 young Newfoundlands into our home
at various times with young children.  The first came into a house with a 2
1/2 year old when she was about 8 weeks.  From day one she was offered food
from this toddler hand and both the adults and the toddler were near her
bowl patting and praising her as she ate.  It was repeated with the others
and with the final one we had a 4 year old (who was outweighed by the 4
month old Newf) and 7 year old sit on either side of her dish and
occasionally dip a hand in to select a piece to hand feed her.

It did backfire to some extent.  When we totally cut off the dinner time
companionship she would sometimes take a mouthful of dry kibble, bring it
into the room where we were and spit it out and then eat it, returning
sometimes 4 or 5 times and repeating the process.  Normally she would win
and one of us would go to the kitchen to keep her company while she ate.
Understandable.  Who among us enjoys a meal without companionship.

About grooming.  My darling husband, whatsisname, has accepted a transfer to
NC from our current home in KC.  He has started the process of house hunting
and mentioned the other day that the Georgia red clay my sister complains
about seems to extend north into NC.  He says that we should probably start
practicing calling our darling Sasha a Great PINK-ennes rather than a Great
Pyrennes.  So there is a suggestion for those of you complaining about your
pink dogs........just a slight alteration to the name.

Caryl