[pyrnet] STOCKGUARD: New Puppy LGD instincts look so good and I love clickertraining!

Well, in between the news of 10-year old Toby's amputation for bone cancer and 13-year old Ski's increasing "alzheimers", I just have to pass on the love and wonder of our puppy Sampson.  He has that deep brown-eyed pyr look at goes to your soul .  He is about 14  weeks old and I am just so amazed. I don't mean instincts as in protective at this point.. but when he gets to be in the pasture in the afternoons... he just pads around, right past or through my 13 pet chickens and ignores them.. and the donkeys (minis) now are used to him and he pretty much ignores them too... all in favor of the first good looking stick he finds.  He throws himself down to chew... maybe tastes a morsel or two of donkey-apples.  Then... creeping down the nearby cedar tree is Groucho... the fearless kitten!  I throw the big kong... Sampson heads after it.. shaking it right and left.  I throw it again, and this time Groucho runs across the grass after it too.   But, then, he IS a cat and doesn't know what to do with it. Sampson approaches... grabs the kong, and trots away.  Groucho follows.

He just doesn't bother ANY of the "stock".

and another thing I am excited about is CLICKER TRAINING!  This past weekend, I hired a trainer to come out and show us about it.  I have read, but I soon discoverd there was no replacement for someone showing me.  She is coming again this Saturday.  We talked, etc. for about a half hour and then proceeded to the pasture to begin with Snowman and Little John the two Mini-donkeys.  They were so cute.  Soon, they were starting to target a stick well.  Actually, LJ was tied up and watched Snowman, so when it was his turn.. he already knew.

Then on to Sampson.  Sampson quickly started to sit.  We also are using it for crate and potty. My daughter was just cracking up.  She took Sampson out.. he peed (click - treat).. the pooed (click treat).. then, he wanted another treat so he looked at her and FAKED peeing!  She clicked and treated... and laughed.

He is such a love and I am glad he is here too, along with the other two.

Linda Anderson
Night Sky Farm
Stanwood, Wash.

nightsky@direcway.com