[pyrnet] kennel gravel question

Hi,

I'm beginning my gravel venture for the smaller kennel but am not sure what to use.  I know most of you use pea gravel.  Although I've let my feet go soft in the last few years, I used to always go barefoot in summer but those little pieces of pea gravel dig right into your feet.  Smooth river rock just slides around and poke up in your feet and to be honest even though it's sharper, I'd rather walk on the inch or so size country road gravel.....it seems to move in the right direction most of the time.

I know dogs are different but I don't want to hurt their feet or get little pebbles stuck between their toes and pads.  I don't want to use concrete or even the 12" x 12" cement pads with the gravel because of joints (I stand on concrete all day and it's not fun) and holding parasites/disease.....even though I pick up after them and bleach/simple green as needed.

*Is* pea gravel the way to go?  Also, does it help keep the nails down between clippings?

Any other ideas would be great.

Thanks,
Chrissy