Re: [pyrnet] Any Experience with Greyhounds and Pyrs?

Good Afternoon !

Does anyone have any experience with Greyhounds living with Pyrs?  I received an emai this morning about a Greyhound track in Connecticut that is closing down and the Greyhound Rescue people in Massachusetts must try to place nearly 500 dogs in foster care by May 14.  Before I get too deep into creating a problem for myself and my two Pyrs, I wondered if the two radically different dog types would get along even to foster.  The Greyhounds will be very shy and confused since they have only lived at the track and never in a house and may not have ever seen a dog who was not a Greyhound but I understand they make wonderful pets because they are really very quiet couch potatoes off the track.

if anyone is interested in the Greyhound information, I can send it privately.

Thanks,  Amy

Hi Amy:

As II live in Connecticut I am very familiar with this situation. It has been on all the news broadcasts that The Greyhound track will be closing down and the dogs are up for adoption. Our new Governor, (the old one is in Federal Prison) sent a letter to the operators of the track instructing them that all of the dogs must be placed in either private homes or with rescue organizations.

We have a neighbor who has previously adopted four of them over the course of several years. One died, and he still has three left. The male that he got first was very friendly to both myself and to Jasper. He would come up to his fence to say hello when we walked by, and vice versa when he walked by our property. His second Greyhound, a female was not friendly and was extremely aggressive when she was out in her yard. The first male followed her lead, and our visiting days were over. Our neighbor said that she chased down and ate a squirrel in their yard before he could reach her to take the carcass away from her. She now wears a muzzle when she is out of the house. The fourth greyhound male that he adopted had been kennel raised as opposed to the first two who were "Farm Raised" according to our neighbor. This new male is friendly, and is not intimidated by the female and does not follow her example of aggression. Jasper loves to visit with them when we walk by, and the fourth male will be friendly until he is interrupted by the female. Our neighbor tells us that when he walks them by our property and Jasper comes up to the fence, his female suddenly becomes very passive and whines until he takes her away. He thinks her behavior is very funny, and so do we. Our neighbor says that they make wonderful house pets, but they do require daily exercise and they love to run and romp around.

I'm sorry if this is too long, but I believe that it gives an accurate picture of a real live situation.

Terry