Re: [pyrnet] Health: care of heartworm positive dog

On 29 May 2005 at 11:22, Shirley McGreal wrote:
> Has anyone any information on whether there is currently any treatment
> that does not require keeping a dog totally quiet for a long period? I
> have not had any experience with this disease. A vet suggested giving
> her a Heartguard pill as it would prevent new worms forming and would
> kill off existing ones within a couple of years. I also heard of a
> two-shot program. Another vet said the cost would be over $600 and
> that the animal would have to stay in the hospital for three days.

The 2 shot treatment it's a good idea to restrict exercise activity.  I don't think have to
keep them totally quiet.  It's not like the older treatment.  We've had quite a few
heartworm positive newfs done in our club rescue.  Information here on the treatment:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/heartworm_treatment.html

> Zoe is 5 and unspayed, and I'm also wondering if it is safe to spay a
> heartworm positive animal?

I think most vets like to wait until stabilized after heartworm treatment is over.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Brooke & Lana (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices
Hutto, TX