From: owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org [mailto:owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org]
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 9:00 PM
To: pyrnet-l-digest@pyrnet.org
Subject: pyrnet-l-digest.20050602

pyrnet-l-digest                                   Thursday, June  2, 2005

[pyrnet] CHAT: Rescue Dogs             ferreirae@earthlink.net
Re: [pyrnet] CHAT: Rescue Dogs         newbailey@comcast.net
Re: [pyrnet] CHAT: Rescue Dogs         greatpyr@enter.net

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:47:40 -0400
From: ferreirae@earthlink.net
Subject: [pyrnet] CHAT: Rescue Dogs

When I fenced in my backyard, I thought it would be the perfect time to find
a little pal for Pico the roam the yard with. I did let Pico's breeder know
I was looking around, but I thought it would be a nice idea to find a
rescue, since I don't really want a puppy. I started looking at some of the
online rescue organisation site and I have to admit that I was a little
surprised at some of the prices the rescue orgs are asking.

One of the ads I saw for a "special needs" puppy was looking for $500. I am
not sure if they were trying to recoup some medical costs or what, but that
seems a little steep to me. That is the highest price that I saw, but I have
seen a couple ads for between $400 and $500.

Is this the norm? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Elaine and Pico (looking for a SWFP (single white female Pyr))

There are a lot of costs to getting a rescue ready for a new home but human
nature also seems to value something that costs a lot more than something
that is free so an expensive dog is more likely to be a well thought out
purchase and be a "forever" home for the dog.  This is not to say that your
home would not be a good one for free but it does cut down on the more
casual buyer who really does not know the breed.