Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 10:28 AM
Subject: [pyrnet] Question

All,

I have a question for the group. My family got our 9-month old pyr, Ella, roughly 3 months ago from a breeder in upstate New York. In her first 3 months with us, she went from getting sick on the ride home to New Jersey and refusing to climb the stairs to the bedrooms, to being wonderfully adjusted and the star of our neighborhood. One problem, however, we just can't seem to shake - she absolutely hates the car.

We tried food (she won't touch it in the car), taking her on short rides to pleasant places (the park, grandma's (who always has some food), etc.), but nothing has worked. When she knows its time to go in the car she begins to pull, and the second she is in the car, begins to have what can only be characterized as an anxiety attack (pants and drools, and if the ride lasts too long, gets sick). Although she has gotten somewhat better, i.e., I no longer have to pick her up and put her in the car, she still gets anxious.

I ordered the pheromone spray that was earlier discussed by the group and plan to test it on our next car ride. Any other suggestions?

Also, although Ella loves other dogs and children, I notice that she frequently is shy around/backs away from strange adults who try to pet her (a problem, since everyone stops us). Aside from having her interact with adults at dog runs and other controlled environments, any other thoughts?

Your advice is much appreciated,

Lee