Re: [pyrnet] Good-bye to our precious Ivy

I feel so sad for you. It was at this time last year that we lost our Jasmine to cancer. Even when you know its coming soon, it doesn't make it any easier. I still cry sometimes. But knowing and loving her was a joy, as I know Ivy was for you, and we can all be thankful for those precious times.
Susan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shirley McGreal" <smcgreal@ippl.org>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 10:39 PM
Subject: [pyrnet] Good-bye to our precious Ivy

I bring you sad news from Summerville, South Carolina. We lost our wonderful, precious Ivy tonight. She was ten years and ten months old. Ivy was born on 29 November 1994 and came to us at IPPL when she was three years old. She had received her Certificate of Longevity from GPCA earlier this year. and we were so proud of her. She had slowed down in recent years and had been treated for Lyme disease and was under care for arthritis. Her August 2005 geriatric blood panel scores were all over the place. She stayed in our animal care cottage till about 7.30 p.m. tonight with North and Bullet and I went to collect the trio after the animal care staff had left. The three came out, they usually take a few minutes and make bathroom stops on the way between the buildings. I noticed that Ivy was walking slowly. I went through the office (where I live) to open the atrium sliding door which is the door Ivy usually used at nights, but not always. She didn't show up at this door, so a few minutes later I went to see if she was at the loading dock door. She was lying there, looking just like she was napping, but in fact our gentle Ivy had passed on. She looked very peaceful and there was no blood or injury and I had heard no distress sounds. The staff reported that she ate and drank normally today and that she dozed on the cottage cot, her favorite place. Of course she was slowing down and was on medication (adequan shots and derramax). Her geriatric panel in August had shown many problematic scores. I think she died of old age, but am not sure. She left us so gently - she was a perfect dog and deserved a peaceful ending to her life.

Although born into a show family, Ivy didn't like the show ring and her owner (Nancy Sandoval) had her spayed and offered to send her to live with us after our first Great Pyrenees, Sebastien, passed on. Nancy invited me to Gwynn Oak in Maryland to meet Ivy. I deliberately took no crate as I did not want to make a hasty decision! But Ivy jumped up (oddly, the only time she ever did this, she was not a jumper, I guess she knew she had to make a good impression). So I said yes, called the airline to reserve a crate and we put Ivy and a lot of used sheets in the back of my rental care. I stopped in a wayside park - but she produced nothing! By the time we got to the National Airport in Washington, she had made a puddle on the back seat of the car, so I went into the parking lot, took her to the airline, bought the crate, and checked her in. Then I went to clear up the mess and go to the rental care return. To my horror I had lost my parking ticket, but the attendant let me through. When I got to the car rental return area, nobody noticed a problem and we made our non-stop flight home to Charleston to be met by a greeting party of all my staff.

Ivy was a truly amazing girl. Though she never had puppies, she became the loving mother and companion to our blind dog Bullet who would follow her all round the property. I know he'll miss his companion of so many years, but fortunately he likes Northie and our new rescue Pyr girl Zoe (who we had to keep far from Ivy due to a personality conflict).

So tonight is a very sad night here. I cut off a snippet of Ivy's hair and put it in her "personal file" that we keep for all our dogs. Good bye, dearest Ivy, you with the most lustrous brown eyes I ever saw, till we meet again.

Shirley McGreal

Dr. Shirley McGreal, Chairwoman International Primate Protection League PO Box 766 Summerville, SC 29484, USA Phone - 843-871-2280, Fax- 843-871-7988

E-mail - smcgreal@ippl.org, Web: www.ippl.org
Working to Protect All Primates Since 1973
Save the date for our next Members' Meeting: March 24-26, 2006!

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries. ~ AA Milne