Re: [pyrnet] Cancer in Pyrs

In a message dated 12/2/2005 11:37:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, LESRVG@aol.com writes:
2) Getting bone cancer is not genetic...however dogs that lack cancer suppressor genes are much more likely to get bone cancer.  Therefore, If a dog gets bone cancer it is suspected that the dog probably carries a homozygous recessive trait (that could have been hiding for generations in the heterozygous state) which equates to no cancer suppressor genes (there are three major ones according to the literature).
All of that is much to simplified and there is a lot that is unknown at the present.  There does seem to be some heritable link, but there is likely several factors, some known and some unknown at present that impact the problem and then there is the environment and the food we feed.  So stay tuned, if we live long enough <G>.

Joe