Re: [pyrnet] Cancer in Pyrs

Our Jasmine's cancer was lymphoma. Her oncologist said that we are seeing more cancer in all breeds of dogs due to more chemical spraying of crops and lawns. I know there seem to be lots of dogs with various types of cancer here in Ottawa and almost everyone seems to spray their lawns.
Susan
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 11:04 AM
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Cancer in Pyrs

In a message dated 12/2/2005 11:37:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, LESRVG@aol.com writes:
Talking to others, it certainly seems more common in certain lines than in others.  For that reason genetics may play a more important role than we realize today.
And thats pure speculation as we really do not know.  There is very little data at present and most ca goes unreported in a form that makes any difference to ones perception.  The other is too sporatic and small a sample to have statistical validity.  If I had to guess, I would guess that what you said will prove to be more right than wrong, but we need to be careful making sweeping statements.  I think in any "learned" circle today it is pretty well accepted that there is likely some heritable basis connected with Osteo and many, if not all, other cancers.  The danger is now that any Osteo will be presumed by those jumping to these same conclusion to be genetic and that is certainly premature, as it appears in almost all lines that I am aware.

Joe