[pyrnet] Agressive behavior

I've been enjoying input from all of you since I got "Gentle Ben"  He was a 5 month old when we adopted him, and is now a year and a half.

Our only problem is aggression when Ben "steals" something like a sock or hand towel.  You can tell he's very pleased with himself when he finds a stray sock or manages to sneak in the kitchen for a towel from the counter.  But, getting it back from him is tough.

Normally we have the chase through the house, and after a lot of scolding, or a trade for something better, he'll give it up.  I don't like the idea of trading him because I don't want him to learn that he's getting a treat everytime he steals something.

So last night we tried just scolding, and when my husband reached for the sock, Ben actually bit him.  We have always tried to make sure Ben knows his place in our home.  He doesn't sleep on our bed, or even in our room.  He doesn't eat table food.  He's required to sit before getting a bone.

I don't know whether to enroll him in some intensive training, or just "pick my battles", and continue to trade for a treat when he steals something.  Depending on what you read, either or both is recommended.

Would love to hear from you about your experiences.

Pamela and Gentle Ben