[pyrnet] (Fwd) ** Iowa Flood Pet Victims Need

Forwarded email Encourage people to donate to the AKC Support and
Relief fund. At least we know the money will be used for the animals.

Vicki

We just read an email forwarded by Joy Windle to the Borzoi list
(forwarded below this email.)? She mentioned news reports describing
the flooding in Iowa as Iowa's "Katrina".

We are glad to read that AKC has taken the lead in coordinating relief
efforts for pet victims in the area, rather than taking a back seat to
HSUS and PETA (which are surely exploiting the tragedies to campaign
for donations that won't be used to really help these pets.)

American Kennel Club News Article

Iowa Floods Prompt Evacuations; Volunteers Needed to Help Companion
Animals in Temporary Shelters

[Friday, June 13, 2008]
As a result of the flooding in Iowa and other Mid-West states, the
American Kennel Club, working with state emergency and shelter
personnel and area kennel club members, has pledged donations of much
needed crates and other supplies to the region.

Fanciers have asked how they can help both in terms of volunteering
time and / or providing monetary donations. If you would like to
volunteer in the area please call the Iowa State Emergency Operations
Center in Des Moines at 515-323-4267. If you would like to donate funds
please visit the AKC CAR Canine Support and Relief Fund page to make a
tax-deductible contribution.

To learn more about disaster preparedness please visit:
http://www.akc.org/news/disaster_preparedness

Despite its name, one of the missions of the AKC CAR Canine Support and
Relief Fund <https://www.akc.org/donations/> is to assist
not-for-profit animal organizations providing care for disaster victims
of all domestic animals, not just dogs:

The AKC CAR Canine Support & Relief Fund has been established as a
permanent charitable fund with the goals of providing resources,
support, funds, and other assistance to:

Search and Rescue animals and handlers participating in rescue and
recovery efforts in connection with natural or civil disasters.

The veterinary units providing support to the canine rescue teams.

Not-for-profit animal shelters and similar not-for-profit organizations
providing care for domestic animals orphaned or displaced as a result
of natural or civil disasters.

Please help however you can.? Please also alert all your pet loving
friends and neighbors and urge them to donate to the AKC Support &
Relief Fund <https://www.akc.org/donations/>.? We can show our fellow
Americans, through our ACTIONS, that pure bred fanciers are
compassionate and responsible pet lovers rather than the demons PETA
and HSUS have portrayed us to be.

Thank you.