[pyrnet] Wheezing Old great Pyr

Hi

I posted about six weeks ago that our almost 13 yo girl Amadea wheezes and it got worse this summer. We have taken her to the vet 3 times now. She has had steroids twice, and they put her on theophyllin(sp) earlier. When she is on the steroids is the only time we see an improvement. When she is back only on the Theophyllin she wheezes and has no activity level.

I am going to take her to the vet again next week, as I think that she should probably be on steroids long term. The vet told us there was no other drug for wheezing for dogs.

They have ruled out congestive heart failure and other diseases. She has always had lots of allergies (how do you tell a country dog not to lay on the grass?) and I think this is the natural progression wrt to the allergies. Right now her nose is constantly running, etc.

I know there are long term risks wrt steroids, but she is almost 13. I would rather she have good quality of life than this miserable wheezing.

Has anyone else had to deal with a wheezy dog that was due to allergies?

thanks
deb slocum