Re: [pyrnet] Thanks for your support: Sad pyr and x-rays

Greetings All:

Thank all of you for your sincere and well thought email related to our Pyr, Fermat.
I realize now our Pyr is going to go through some changes - thanks for all of your input.

 Our Pyr is an outside dog - especially when it is very cold (we live in southwest Texas)
What I
did not realize is how much time he actually spends with me during the day: a lot

As a result, I never considered how my grief is contributing to Fermat's...and how I
could be a contributer to negative habits.

As a result. Gary's email hit the nail on the head:

There is comfort to familiar things and if interactions not previously allowed are now allowed I could envision longer term problems.

Our dog has three spots he settles when in the house and he comes upstairs to my computer room
if he is indoors and it is raining outside.  I find so much comfort with him it did not register he has
been following me everywhere
the times he has been in the house the past few days.  This morning
is the first time since he was a pup I had to reinforce the "Stay" command.
I mean all over, as he had never
been taught: no crooning or cajoling but firm tone and dog treat under the nose.
(recall: he is 9 years and 7 months)
Anyway, I know what to look for and we are going to be ok - so thanks again :)

**One last thought related to this entire experience:**

 I have have followed Pyr-Net for some time and talk to other Pyr owners when I can.
Even though this is not a new thought - and all of you are more experienced than me,
I feel compelled to
reiterate the importance of good x-rays: especially for large animal dogs.

 My husband and I went to the vet this morning.
We were both sickened with grief at sight of our majestic Newf almost
completely lame.
It does not matter that we knew he likely only had to the end of December to live functionally.

 We were horrified when the vet compared:
1)  x-rays we had done 7 months ago that we brought with us when we dropped our dog off
2) the x-rays he took of our Newf taken a few days go
and
3) x-rays & the skeletal structure of a *much younger* normal Newf

Further, the (large animal) vet allowed us to watch how a large animal dog x-ray is taken
and how errors or possible misdiagnosis can (in some cases) result by improper positioning, or
improper restraint - especially for a large animal dog.
In short: He explained the reasons why the x-rays
we brought with our dog were very poorly done.

Our Newf is 12 years and 7 months of age.
He lived a long and healthy life and brought us much joy (Past tense since we are putting him down on Wednesday)
Second guessing things we could
have done differently is, I think normal in the beginning - and fruitless.
Still, I can't help but wonder what the prognosis would have been for another dog at very early stages of hip or joint problems.

Thanks again to all~
Happy Holidays,
Christine, Jonathan and Fermat